Pet Vaccinations: Are They Necessary for Indoor-Only Pets?
We all know the importance of vaccinating our pets against communicable diseases, but what if our pets live indoors or never come into contact with other animals? The Reality
Core vaccinations are an important part of every pet’s health care plan, regardless of whether or not he or she routinely come into contact with the outdoors or other animals. Here’s why:
- It’s the law – Oregon, like most of the country, requires all pets to be vaccinated against rabies regardless of their lifestyles. Unvaccinated pets that have been exposed to rabies must face a long quarantine period or even euthanasia.
- Exposure risk – Many communicable diseases can find their way inside our homes on our shoes, clothing, skin, etc.. Even if no other animal enters your home, there is always the chance that you may bring diseases into contact with your pet.
- Accidents happen – Despite our best efforts, pets can and do slip out of windows or doors accidentally left open. An unvaccinated pet who suddenly finds him or herself outside risks coming into contact with sick animals. Likewise, missing pets may also be picked up by animal control and taken to a shelter, where there is a high risk of contracting a transmissible disease.
- Wildlife concerns – Where there is food, there will be wildlife. While it may seem unlikely, it’s not uncommon for bats, raccoons, and other disease-carrying wild animals to occasionally wind up inside our homes, where the risk of disease transmission is high.
- Latent illness – Most pets are exposed to certain illnesses early in life, such as feline herpes and calicivirus. Anything that weakens the immune system, such as stress, anxiety, or certain health conditions, can trigger a flare-up of these illnesses later in life. Regular boosters can help to keep them under control.
Pet Vaccinations at Community Pet Hospital
The American Association of Feline Practitioners and the American Veterinary Medical Association recommend that all kittens and puppies receive a core vaccination series, to be followed up by boosters as recommended by your veterinarian.
Don’t forget to take advantage of our Vaccine Value Days every Tuesday where your pet will receive a discounted exam and round of vaccinations. Walk-ins only! Please give us a call for more information. We look forward to seeing you and your pet soon.
“Very friendly and professional personnel. We love this place, and our dogs do too! ” —~ Amanda Vallejo
“Thank you for a commitment to Jovs health. You (as a group) are a bright star in what could be a dark night.’ —Charles Avery
“We come here with all our animals because of the quality of care we receive, and the great prices. Great staff. —Jennifer Ellwood
“Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our first visit has been awesome. The vet was very helpful and took time to talk and explain everything. Thank you. —Elizabeth
“Always friendly, kind, and informative. Thank you! —Vicky Kelly
“Dr. Christensen is always very thorough and kind to my pets. We appreciate her very much. She is a wonderful asset to the clinic. —Becky Goldman
“I have come to love the staff and the new owners. These people truly care and love animals. I ’m thankful to find these people I’ve had such bad experiences from the other clinics around the area with such high prices. —April Veneigh
“Our family pet, Griffey, receives unsurpassed, compassionate care at Community Pet Hospital! Thank you, Community Pet Hospital, for always being there for us humans and those very important animal members of our family. I love you guys!! —Karen Smith
“Thank you to both Dr. Johnson and his wife Bonnie. Your compassion helped so much in our time of need. I will recommend you to everyone as you are so good and really care. —Cheryl Stone
“The doctor and technician were so kind and gentle with my scardy cat. Thanks. —Margaret Krauss
“I would heartily recommend your Community Pet Clinic to anyone who is looking for an excellent veterinarian. —Michael Jordan
“By far the best Vet experience I’ve ever had. Everybody was just wonderful. —Courtney Bertrand
“Excellent! They were very loving and went out of their way to treat my dog! —Deanna Nebert
“5 STARS!! Great service and excellent receptionist! Sarah and Christine is who I worked with today. —Leroy Banks